Year 7 Residential
Year 7 Residential Experience October 2023 - Porthpean Outdoor Education Centre, St Austell
Why do we go? The Porthpean ethos
- For pupils to bond with their peers and staff.
- To use the outdoor environment to enhance their learning.
- To experience something new, different and interesting.
- To have a great time!
When do we go?
Mon 16th Oct - Wed 18th Oct
- 7 L (Mr Baker)
- 7 I (Mrs O’Shea)
- 7 S (Miss Pritchard)
- 7K (Miss Farina)
Wed 18th Oct – Fri 20th October
- 7 E (Mr Bainbridge/Replacement – Miss Briggs)
- 7 A (Miss Fursman)
- 7 R (Mrs Soriano)
All Year 7 students are at Porthpean on Wed 18th October
Which staff members attend?
- Head of Outdoor Education - Mr Lemin
- Senior Cover Supervisor - Ms Strevens
- Head of Year – Mr Rowe
- Assistant Head of Year 7 – Mrs Piriou
- Tutor group leader
- 1 Level 3 Leadership Student per tutor group (6th formers)
- 2 peer mentors per tutor group (Year 9 students)
Information and departure details
- Kit lists are available through satchell post, here and from the school reception.
- No mobile phones/electrical devices.
- On the day of departure, meet to be registered in the Old Hall at 08.45am (not your normal tutor base).
- We leave at approximately 09.30am.
- And arrive at Porthpean Camp at 10.00am.
- Tents are arranged in an oval shape to create a ‘tent village’. Each tutor group is assigned to one tent village.
- Canvas tents offer up to 12 single bunk beds, all raised off the ground, meaning a warmer and dryer sleeping experience. The tents are insulated from the ground with padded flooring.
- All the tents are either all-male or all-female.
- Students need to bring sleeping bags, duvets, blankets and pillows (being warm at night is important!)
- Tutor group leaders sleep in their village in a pod separate from tents.
- There is also a duty pod occupied by sixth formers.
- Pupils need to bring a packed lunch for Day 1 (Monday or Wednesday).
- All other meals are provided by Porthpean Outdoor Education Centre (Breakfast, packed lunch, dinner).
- Students eat in the temporary dining room.
- Staff assist with the serving of meals.
- Each tutor group does one dining room duty (collecting plates, etc).
- All students need a water bottle and a cup/mug.
What will we do?
- Blackhead Walk
- Problems Solving
- Water Sports
- High Ropes
- Zip Line
- Beach Activities
- Rock Climbing
- Leap of Faith
See a gallery of photos highlighting some of the activities students participated in during previous years at the bottom of the page.
- On the day of return (Wednesday or Friday), tents are emptied, the campsite is litter picked, odd socks/towels and swimsuits are reunited with their owners.
- We leave the campsite at approximately 14.15 pm.
- And arrive back at school at about 15.00 pm.
- Pupils can catch their normal school bus, be collected by parents or even walk home!!
- X Cohort are back at school on Thursday and Friday.
- Y Cohort – into ½ term!!
To conclude, can we please bring your attention to the following:
- Deadline for final payment - Tuesday 3rd October.
- Payments can be made through the school ParentPay system (Details from the school finance office).
- Please contact Mr Lemin with any concerns.
- Please speak to Ms Strevens with respect to medical/dietary issues.
- Direct phone to the PE office – 01579 325739
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr Lemin is more than happy to arrange individual meetings with parents.
A kit list and slides from the Parents' Information Evening can be downloaded below:
Specific details of Porthpean Outdoor Education Centre can be found at https://porthpean.com/